Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Quilting Adventures

12:17 PM Posted by SnowSews
Since in my last post I realized that I need to stop sewing for myself until I am done nursing, I decided to start a quilt. I was incredibly inspired by Mary Katherine Fons' book Make + Love Scrap Quilts, and when I saw Forest Preserve - and it's absolutely amazing.

I immediately pulled out my megastash of hand-cut charm squares. I had cut a zillion of them back when I was making my puff quilts, and really wanted to use them. I did a little math, which I actually loved despite my dismal skills, and voila! I got to work. Here are a couple of layouts I played with:



This layout was what convinced me my scraps would look great with Kona Cotton in Navy. I luckily had a remnant I once bought at 50% off at Joann's, so yes, I do believe in serendipity. It was also enough to get me started until I could get to the store for more of the Kona. If I had waited, I wouldn't have started this mammoth task.



This was what I came up with once I had pieced a fair number of colors. I just wanted to see whether the brights would work together, or if they would look like unicorn upchuck. Luckily, I do like unicorn upchuck.


And then came a series of what-ifs. Does every quilter get so obsessed with layouts and possibilites that actually getting a piece done is paralyzing? Does everyone get so involved with the minutiae that they lose sight of the bigger picture? I just happened to move a couple of squares around, and loved these diamonds that formed. So pretty!! Should I do this design?

What if the diamonds were single-color? Grouped in reds, yellows, blues, greens, grays? Wouldn't that be special? So my darling hubby, who I must say has great taste, chose the harmonious diamonds. And that is what will be. I am so excited! Stay tuned for my progress.