Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Finding the Time to Create

2:49 PM Posted by SnowSews
Ever since little Miki arrived, I have been slammed. They say a baby changes everything, and boy, are they right. I haven't finished a single project since November, when she was born. I hate having the will to make something but no energy or time to do it. I have had so many ideas, ideas I wish I had sketched out, but just as I pick up a pencil, little Miss Trouble would wake up and howl.

Now Miki is a Velcro baby, and some of it is my fault. She has always been incredibly aware of the world, and any little sound is a distraction sometimes. I remember being amazed that just seconds after being born, while I held her to my chest, she turned her head to listen to the nurse who was talking. That's not what babies are supposed to do, the nurse said, shocked. Even now, eight months later, she wants everything I have in my hand, wants nothing to do with naps, and is bored with baby toys in seconds but wants to chew on furniture. I mustn't complain, but running after her and carrying her around is giving me backaches. I go all day without eating anything because I cannot even go to the kitchen without her howling and crawling after me. What am I supposed to do?

I am slowly, stubbornly, trying to create little windows of opportunity where I can blog or sketch or even sit at the machine. Yesterday I spent one full naptime cleaning my machine - it was a 30 minute nap, normal for Miss Trouble. And that was it, and I felt like I really accomplished something.

As far as quilting/sewing goes, I don't know if I will ever finish a project until she goes to kindergarten. Frankly, I know I am setting myself up for failure by planning more than one project at a time. But such is life, and millions of women do manage to run a business from home while having babies. Yes, they probably have help, but I know I am not alone in this frustration. I wish I could just finish a project, though!