Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Got a little FMQ done!

8:42 PM Posted by SnowSews
I did it! I finished my first FMQ project!




I made an improvised log cabin block around a fussy-cut piece featuring a cute cherub - might be little Neptune - and framed it with an olive green solid. I have no idea what fabrics I used, most of them were in a little baggie at my quilt store marked "scraps" that I bought for $2.50. The cherub is from the Salt Air line by Moda.

I then quilted the block with a mushroom thread, Aurifil Mako 40wt, and the solid in a Sulky 60wt. I quilted some swirls, leaves, a little take on ribbon candy and my nemesis, pebbles. I need better light to take close ups, which will come tomorrow. I made a straight-grain scrappy binding from the leftovers, and voila! A placemat.

I am so proud of my first FMQ project. It's nothing special, heck, it's actually quite rough, but it's done. And as Angela Walters says, "Close enough is good enough". I've definitely been bitten by the bug!