Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

An Elke for Miki!

10:48 AM Posted by SnowSews , , , ,
Since I made the Elke dress for my niece in fleece, I have been obsessed with the pattern. I didn't like the look of the first Elke I made, which was a ponte knit. It turned out too big in the neck and the drapey fabric made Miki look too skinny. I really wanted to make her one in fleece, which I knew would look really nice since I found many wonderful examples on Facebook.


I had made a run to Joann on Thursday for some other fabric, and fell in love with this not-too-girly combination. I have always felt that Miki looks great in navy, and this feminine design makes the boyish colors look super cool.


Again, taking advantage of the awesome properties of fleece, I left the edges raw, and pleated the frill on the sleeve instead of gathering it. I prefer pleats.


Here's the bow! It's big, and cute, and tacked down at the shoulder as per the designer's recommendations. The collar looks nice and appropriately stiff, and fit Miki so well that I need to make her an Elke every winter. It's a must-do on my list now. The whole dress took me just one hour to make, from cut to finish.