Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Friday, December 12, 2014

GIMP High Pass tutorial using FX Foundry

10:05 PM Posted by SnowSews
Here's a before and after using this tutorial, and the referenced photo. Followed most of the steps, and the high pass filter I used was a part of the brilliant FX Foundry pack, since GIMP doesn't have one of its own. Mine is a little different from the final photo in the tutorial, but that is only to be expected.

Original                                                    My Take
 


Steps to get this effect:

  • Open the photo
  • Duplicate layer. Go to FX Foundry > Photo > Sharpen > EG High-Pass Filter Sharpen. Radius of 5 pixels, Change the Blend mode of the layer to Hard Light.
  • Repeat above with another duplicate layer
  • Flatten all layers into one. Go into Colors > Levels and change up the shadows and highlights and midtone contrast till the image looks good.
The original tutorial is not for GIMP, which is why I have written down my take on the tute. I need to remember,. to never forget.