Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

One Hour Baby Leggings

4:06 PM Posted by SnowSews
I have been so busy these last few days that the laundry has been languishing, and the dishes piling up. So while I took the time to do the chores, I couldn't resist sewing up a quick and easy pair of leggings for Miki. From cutting to finishing, these took exactly 40 minutes. I know because that's how long she naps.



The pattern is a free one from Melissa Esplin that I had pinned to my board, "Sew For My Toddler" on Pinterest. It's a very simple pattern perfect for a beginner. I serged the seams, using my sewing machine only a couple of times.



I did put my own spin on the leggings, since I had made this pattern before and knew that the cuffs were not as tight as I would like. I used a rib knit tank top that I cut the cuffs from, and because the fabric stretches so much, I cut the cuffs about two thirds as long as the foot opening.  That gave me a very nice, snug fit on the cuffs.



The other modification was the waistband. I had lovely fluorescent pink waistband elastic which I simply zigzagged on to the legging at the end. I could have been much neater, but Miki was waking up and I just needed to be done. She is all kinds of curious right now, and unerringly manages to find pins on the carpeted floor of my sewing room. I really cannot sew with her around yet.



These leggings look absolutely adorable on Miki! The only things I would change next time are a more roomy hip, and a longer waistband elastic. The hip needs room because we do cloth diapers and the legging is quite snug with the diaper on. It also seems a little too tight at the waist, and I might actually rip out the elastic and put in a new, longer one, just so we get a lot more use out of it. The length could easily last her a year or more, but since she is crawling around and getting her knees super dirty, I doubt this pair will endure too much abuse from the washing machine.




All in all, a gorgeous, fast pair of new baby leggings!