Join me, Snow, in my adventures in sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting - crafting is my lifeblood! Come along, we'll grow in our expertise together.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Hand vs Machine piecing - thoughts

10:11 PM Posted by SnowSews
I have been hand piecing my parallelograms for my pillow with the intention of being more accurate in my 1/4 inch seam. After days and days of struggling, considering I sew an hour a day at the most, I managed to get an acceptable result:


Couple of tips:

- Starch is your best friend. Without starch I have struggled with slippery points that would not submit to my will no matter how much I cussed.

- Do not, I repeat, do NOT double your thread when hand piecing. Double thread makes unsightly puckers if you are not careful, and your scant 1/4 in becomes much less scant. Don't double your work, use a single thread.